Search This Blog

Saturday, November 19, 2005

What's New?

'Twas a slow day as far as Yankee news went, but here's a quick look at what did go on.


  • Joe Torre held his "Safe at Home" Charity Event in New York yesterday. Some of his guests included Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, Tino Martinez, David Cone, Joe Girardi, Willie Randolph, and Lee Mazzilli.
  • Derek Jeter expressed his hopes that Bernie Williams returns to the Yankees next season, but acknowledged that there are more pressing team concerns. When asked about participating in the World Baseball Classic, Jeter said it was up to "The Boss".
  • Mariano Rivera, at Torre's event, told the press that he hopes the Yankees "do the right thing" and bring back Tom Gordon as his set-up man. I know a lot of people have problems with Gordon, but to be fair, there are very few relievers out there who are better than he is. Sure he's not always a big-game player, but then again, neither is A-Rod, but we're not going to dump him, are we? If the Yankees had a chance at signing B.J. Ryan, then I'd have no trouble saying goodbye to Flash, but Ryan has said that he is a closer and will not accept any other role, so it doesn't look like he'll be sporting pinstripes anytime soon. So, you tell me, who would you rather have that's on the market than Gordon? I must say that I agree whole-heartedly with Mo that Flash Gordon should return next season.
  • Tino Martinez has been contacted by several teams, but has no interest so far in what they've offered. He said that he'd only play next season if the situation was right. Otherwise, he'd love to return to the Yankees in some capacity, coaching, broadcasting or working in the front office. The Yankees have said that they'd be more than happy to keep Martinez around. Tino is my favorite Yankee ever and I hope he will be around the team for years to come, but hopefully not as a broadcaster because listening to that voice for three hours would be difficult for many fans, I think. Personally, I think it's cute, but that's probably not the general consensus. The next slow news day I will be posting a "Tribute to Tino," so stay tuned for that!
That's about all that's happening at the minute. Joe Torre spoke to Brian Giles about coming to the team to play centerfield next season, but there is no indication of whether or not he is interested. Really, that's all I can tell you for now, so check in later and hopefully I'll have some more exciting news. Until then, have a great weekend!
*Lara Marie

P.S.- This is totally unrelated to the Yankees, but I saw the new Harry Potter movie last night and it was by far the best one yet. So if you're a Potter fan, check it out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that Tino's voice is adorable too! Lol